The World Rally Champion title returned to Finland today as Kalle Rovanperä and Jonne Halttunen were crowned to the Champions in Rally New Zealand.
Last Finnish drivers to win the Championship were Marcus Grönholm and Timo Rautiainen in 2002.
Rovanperä were relieved in the finish line.
– It’s quite a big relief after such a good season and finally we are here! It was a small wait after a few difficult rallies but the biggest thanks goes to the team – they made this rocket this year. Even after all the difficult rallies they were believing in us and giving us all the support.
Kalle and Jonne join the long list of Finnish World Rally Champions:
- Ari Vatanen (1): 1981 (Ford)
- Hannu Mikkola (1): 1983 (Audi)
- Timo Salonen (1): 1985 (Peugeot)
- Juha Kankkunen (4): 1986 (Peugeot), 1987, 1991 (Lancia), 1993 (Toyota)
- Tommi Mäkinen (4): 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 (Mitsubishi)
- Marcus Grönholm (2): 2000, 2002 (Peugeot)
- Kalle Rovanperä (1): 2022 (Toyota)
AKK and Secto Rally Finland send their biggest congratulations to Kalle and Jonne!